The elegant house was built in around 1900 and was once the home of Dr. Rashleigh, whose family can be traced back to the days of Sir Frances Drake and the Spanish Armada. It was a private home until World War II when it was acquired by The Home Office.
The Southern Command established temporary headquarters here but its primary function was as a maternity hospital within the administration of Berkshire County Council. More than 1000 babies were born during the four years it was open. Rashleighs also provided a comfortable home to some children evacuated from London during the war.
The late owners of the house were Mr & Mrs Johnson. Mr Johnson was a director and shareholder of the Basset confectionary company. At this time, the whole estate was self-sufficient with food grown in the kitchen gardens and even a dairy!
When Mr Johnson died in 1954, Mrs Johnson moved to one of their smaller properties in the local area.
The house was purchased by Nestle UK in 1956. Initially it was used to accommodate employees attending courses at the company's then head office in Hayes, Middlesex. In 1963 the process of enlargement and improvement commenced and further major development took place during 1986/7 introducing mains gas, a modern kitchen, enlarged dining room, new bar and providing all rooms with ensuite bathrooms.